Friday, March 25, 2011

The Underrated - Martha Plimpton

I've decided to start a new feature on Gator Music that gives a shout out to those performers whom I feel are exceptional and never get their proper due.  I've decided for the first one, I'll start with:

Martha Plimpton

If anyone has seen The Goonies, you'll remember the tomboyish blonde with the glasses who was constantly giving crap to Corey Feldman's Mouth.  THAT was Martha Plimpton.  Even as an 8 year old boy watching it in the movie theater, there was something that drew me to her Stef that her apart from the other characters.  She seemed to be the only voice of reason amongst the group of tweens searching for One-Eyed Willie's gold.  I wanted to post a clip from it but, the YouTube poster of "The Wishing Well" clip doesn't allow sharing so, click here to see it.

Next we have the movie Parenthood:


This is another one of my favorite movies in which she had a supporting role as Julie, the rebellious teen daughter of Helen (Dianne Wiest).  It's an ensemble film with too many amazing talents to name and she STILL manages to stand out.  Keanu Reeves gets the label on this clip but, Martha does a great job in her role as his teenage wife.





The next film is an awful little movie called 200 Cigarettes.  I specifically went to see it because of Ms. Plimpton.  It's not her fault, I was just excited that it was the first movie since Parenthood that I was aware she was in.  Potentially, a great cast that was done no favors by this film.  Martha was the best thing in the whole movie.  Check out the trailer, it's all you need to see:



Since then, she's been nominated for an Emmy for her appearance on Law and Order:SVU.  She's also received three Tony nominations for Coast of Utopia, Top Girls and Pal Joey.  She's been appeared in more shows and films than you could guess and has, most recently, become the best thing on the best new sitcom of the year, Raising Hope.




If you haven't seen Raising Hope, shame on yourself!  It's on after Glee and is so much funnier!  Oh Glee, where do I begin with the disappointment? But who cares... Watch RAISING HOPE!

Until next time...





2 comments:

  1. LOVE her on Raising Hope!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Jenny! I think she's the best thing about a great show.

    ReplyDelete