Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The New Day Has Come

Well, the job that I've been known to do a smidge of complaining about has finally come to an end.  Relief and a little sadness are probably the best words to describe it...

When I first moved to New York, I had no idea of what I was going to do for work (or live, for that matter).  I just knew that this was where I was supposed to be, for whatever reason.  Getting here was my first priority a job came second.

After about a month, I got hired at the restaurant, in the Meatpacking District, where I was until a few days ago.  It's pretty much been the only job I've known since moving up here, on July 24th of 2007.  I met a lot of great people whom I got to know through working there.  I also grew to despise certain aspects of the place.  Long story short, the place is not what it was when I started there.  From a business standpoint, it's great!  For me... not so much.

I'm not a person who can deal with change easily so, when I knew it was time to move on, it took me a while to finally get to work on making something else happen.  There's a certain comfortable feeling that comes with secure misery.  No matter how unhappy I got... at least I had a job.  Plus, there was a kind of sentimental reason and loyalty that I'd developed over time.  Unfortunately, I managed to use that to get out of doing other, career productive, things.  This was ONLY supposed to be a survival job after all and not my career.

So when the chance to go to a new place came along, I jumped at it.  It was total luck since I seemed to be good at complaining about work but, not good at actually looking for anything else (see... secure misery).  After nearly three years, I decided the time was right and that a change needed to be made.  Many things in my life had evolved and my job needed to be one of them.  I think it was the last remaining link to a past that I subconsciously (maybe) wanted to get back but, it wasn't coming.  I'll miss the friends I've made there but, in a world with Facebook, it won't be hard to keep in touch.

So, I'm now working in a new place and am, once again, the newbie.  I've moved up from the Meatpacking District to the Theatre District.  I'm also fortunate to be working with two friends whom I've known from back in my days in Orlando.  There's always a certain fear that comes with change but, this is for the best.  Sure it's still a survival job but, who cares.  So many great things have happened in the past two years and this job change puts me securely in the present.  There's nothing left to hold me to the past.  It's time to soldier forward.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment