Thursday, December 9, 2010

When Do Compliments Turn Into Jobs?-Scorecard #6


So things have been pretty slow on the audition front, lately.  This time of year, things slow down for the holidays before they pick back up again in January.  So there hasn't been much for me to go to and talk about but, I did manage an audition yesterday that I almost talked myself out of.

It wasn't until the last minute that I decided to go.  What convinced me was that the theatre is in Jacksonville,  and not all that far from Orlando.  I wouldn't too far from my O-Town gang.

Because I waited until the last minute, I didn't show up at the studio until 11:00 but, figured I would take my chances with the alternate list anyway.  To my surprise, the woman in front of me had just cancelled her 2:50 time slot to take her chance on the alternate list in the hopes of getting seen sooner*. So, I gladly stepped up, took it and filled the extra time with dance class.

When it was time to go in, I sang my song and felt it went really well.  Afterwards, I was told, "VERY good.  BIG tenor voice.  And you know how to control it.  I LIKE that!"  Obviously, I was thrilled to hear that but I've also learned to take compliments, even sincere ones, with a grain of salt.  Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE being told that I did something great!  At least, up to that point where it starts to feel uncomfortable.  You know what I mean?  But a compliment is no guarantee of a job or even a callback.

I guess I'm just ready for someone to follow that compliment with a, "Why don't you come back tomorrow to read for us" or "We just so happen to have a contract for you, right here!"  That second on would be great!  However unlikely it would be.  I guess I'm just getting a little impatient and ready to get away from the survival job for a bit.

But for today, I'll just be happy with compliments and get ready for dance class.  I've almost made it through a full week of that so, I'll have to write up a report for you soon.  But for now, we'll add another success to the scorecard.


Audition Scorecard 2010-2011
                   9 Success
                   4 Fails  (3 Type Out)

A winning record going into the winter break.  Nice!  

Until next time...

*A little side note.  At an EPA, there are about 5 or 6 names per time slot with each actor being allowed 3 minutes to audition.  If not everyone uses the full 3 minutes and there's time before the next group goes, they start calling from the alternate list to fill up the time.  The woman whose time slot I took wasn't so lucky.  She was still waiting when I was leaving.  Oops.  Maybe she shouldn't have been rude to me when she was leaving the line earlier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment