Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wonderland Ends Its Less Than Wondrous Run

imgres.jpg
Frank Wildhorn's latest musical Wonderland will be ending its run at Broadway's Marquis Theater on May 15th after 31 previews and only 33 performances.  The show was completely savaged by critics and received ZERO Tony nominations.

Now I never got to see the show myself but, of the few people that I know who did see it the best they could say was, "The cast is trying very hard."  That's not exactly a rave review.

I personally think that Wildhorn, himself, gets a bit of a bum rap when it comes to his shows. He only writes the music.  Someone else writes the lyrics, book, directs it, builds the sets, etc.  So why is he the one who seems to take all the blame when they fail?  Maybe someone else should choose who he works with?

But I digress, it's always sad when an open ended show closes abruptly because it puts everyone in the cast and backstage out of a job.  So, here's a little video of a trailer for the show.  What do you think?  Too soon?  Not soon enough? If you were in town, would you have gone to see it?



Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I think that's what makes me sad -- thinking about the people out of a job. I have a friend who has a large role in the show and I know he was excited about the opportunity to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about that! Did you get a chance to see it before you left? Was it really THAT bad?

    ReplyDelete