Thursday, September 10, 2009

Just the F.A.C.T.s please, pt. 1

       So, the other "first time" venture that I began last night was a workshop group that I had been invited to join called F.A.C.T.  An anagram for Friends Always Creating Theater, the group is made up of about 20 actors, directors and playwrights.  The goal is to collaboratively work on new pieces by the writers and present them at a two day workshop in October.  Eventually, the group hopes to raise enough money to put on its own Equity (the stage actor's union) showcases.

       Like the showcase audition, I've never been a part of a group like this before.  Only once with Gutter Star: The Paperback Musical, co-written by the founders of this group for FringeNYC '09, have I been part of the creative process for a new work.  But even with that, I came in after the groundwork had initially been laid.  This is seeing something grow from the VERY beginning which is really exciting for me.



       For our first meeting we read through three different ten minute plays.  I was asked to read from and then, officially, cast in "Kiss Today Goodbye" written by Jack Dyville (book writer for G-Star and co-founder of F.A.C.T.)  Basically, it's about Gov. Sarah Palin and the dream that could've become a nightmare!  I will be playing Alaska (I guess former, now) First Man, Todd.  I'm excited to see how all of them turn out.

       Next week, we'll all get the first scene in larger play we'll also be doing at the workshop.  The playwright, himself, doesn't have anything written and has only told us that it's going to deal with a divorced couple who were married for over 30 years.  Five of us will be playing their children and, Dad, shows up with his much younger and African-American new love.  Not sure if the new love is a man or a woman but, that's all the info known so far.  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it!

       As one of my friends says, "Always be working on something!"  So, I feel like I'm actually doing that.  Two new plays and a possible showcase in the next six weeks will have me working on several things.  Plus, I'm getting my flabby gut to the gym more often.  Did I mention that Todd is supposed to be shirtless?  Ha ha!  Not in this flabby and untrimmed state he won't be so, Mid City here I come.

       So, I decided to label these last two posts as "part one".  If anything new happens that I want to write about, I'll add the next parts.

       Until then....

----MC

No comments:

Post a Comment