Monday, November 22, 2010

Dance Magic Dance

This past Friday, I went in to audition to be a part of a scholarship dance program here in the city.  If you were to look at my resume and see that I have zero dance training or performance listed on there, you might laugh and say, "What were you thinking?"  But since I was asked to come in, I decided it would be a good thing for me to try.  And try, I did.

You see, my experience with the dance is limited at best.  Where I grew up, we didn't have any dance schools in my hometown and besides, the guys were supposed to play football and baseball.  So my first experience with any dance class setting came during my apprenticeship at the Flat Rock Playhouse.  A few days a week, Bob "Cookie" Cooke would teach us the basics of Jazz (I think) and eventually taught us the entire opening combination to A Chorus Line.  It was one of the highlights of what is one of the best summers of my life.

I came back from that summer to finish my senior year of college and started a Beginner's Tap class that wasn't too far from campus.  Unfortunately in my haste to get started, I bought tap shoes that were about 2 sizes too small.  Little did I realize how much that would grow to hurt.  Also, I guess, I started in the middle of the term because, everyone else was working on this routine that the teacher had taught them.  Nothing was really explained and she just said, "Follow the others".  I followed as best I could but after about 3 or 4 months, I had chalked it up that dancing might not be for me.

Luckily, I've always had a bit of natural rhythm. Doing most musicals, I didn't have too much trouble picking up the choreography.  Enough ability that, if you'll recall, I did the drag queen back-up dancing.  But anytime an audition call required any serious dance training, I've always shied away.  Needless to say, I wasn't planning on auditioning for any dance programs anytime soon... or ever.

But when I heard that the people in charge of this particular program had wanted me to audition for them, I couldn't help but be intrigued.  I always knew that dancing was my weakest element when compared to acting and singing but, I was always afraid of taking classes for fear of being so far behind the rest of the class and just being told to "Follow the others".  I wasn't looking forward to being behind and not having a clue as to how to catch up.

The interview process was interesting.  I was asked why there was no dance on my resume and I mentioned an intimidation factor about going to classes at the larger places around the city.  That was met with, "That won't necessarily change because you get into this program."  True but, I've grown to realize how much I need to suck it up and get some formal training under my belt.  The interview was pretty simple.  Just a chat about why I hadn't had training before.

There were seven of us on the night of the audition.  I went first and sang my song.  It felt really good and I got smiles back from the people watching so, that was a positive thing.  I tried to hear the others but the sax lesson and karate class nearby were too loud to get a good listen.  The tough part was still to come.

While we had a little time before the dance part started we were sent to another room to warmup and stretch.  Immediately, I noticed I was the only one without dance shoes.  I had on my Skecher sneakers while everyone else had their little Capezios.  It was also fun to watch everyone else throwing their legs over their heads and dance stretching while I was stretching more for a football game.

When the dance part started, they said, "Let's do the scary ballet combo first."  Oh great, I thought, No chance of even faking my way through this.  The next thing she says is, "Ballet is not something you can fake."  Ugh!  Then she looks directly at me and says, "If you have no training, you can't fake it so just do something."  Which is what I did.  I did almost everything the others did but, without any sort of ballet grace.

Next, we moved on to a jazz combo.  I think I fared a bit better at this one but, it was still not easy.  It was a cool combo from West Side Story though and I know I could have gotten it if we had more time.  But I made it through and no one laughed at me but me so, I took it as a good sign. (SUCCESS)

Overall, it was a pretty interesting experience.  Everyone else was far ahead of me as far as dance training but, that's not what the program is about.  It's more for people they feel are already marketable and just need the added help of dance to push them over.  So dancing ability, is not the deciding factor.  Pretty much the interview and singing were.  So, I'm hoping that those went well enough for me to get me in.  I'd love to be a part of the program.  I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment