Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Divine Sister

How fortunate I felt to have gotten to spend the evening of New Year's Day watching one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time by one of my favorite playwrights!  That show, of course, is The Divine Sister written by and starring Charles Busch and is a play I've looked forward to seeing since I'd first read it was going to be opening in New York.

The sisters of St.Veronica, led by the Mother Superior (Mr. Busch) have recently been joined by Sister Walburga (Alison Fraser) from Germany who is in to check up on the financially strapped school/convent.  At the same time, a reporter (Jonathan Walker) is in town to get the scoop on a new postulant (Amy Rutberg) at the order who claims to have visions and the ability to heal people. All the while, Mother Superior and her best friend and second in command, Sister Acacious (Julie Halston) try to appeal to the local atheist widow (Jennifer Van Dyck) for a sizable donation. When all these characters cross paths, everyone's secrets start to come out in a hugely funny fashion.

I've always been a fan of Mr. Busch ever since I stumbled across Psycho Beach Party on HBO one day, way back when.  I've also always had a taste for humor which doesn't always make sense or is in the best of taste.  This show is a perfect example of that and I laughed from start to finish!

Besides being a genius writer, Mr. Busch always has the knack of getting only top notch people to bring his scripts to life.  And this show, may be the best yet.  I won't single any of them out because there are far too many examples I could use for each actor.  They all have their own wonderful moments apart, be it just a look or a perfectly timed quip but, are even greater as an ensemble.  And thanks to Carl Andress' direction, everything moves a rapid "blink and you might miss the joke" pace.

Ok so, enough.  I've gone on far too much about how great I think the show is and it's time to stop.  But if you happen to be in NYC or you live here and haven't gotten down there yet, get to the Soho Playhouse and see this show.  You can also check out more about the show here.  It's too funny not to see!  And if you don't like, then I'm afraid you were born with no sense of humor.  For me, it was a great way to start my theatre viewing for 2011!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment