Thursday, October 28, 2010

Another Type Out, Frustration Ensues: Update #4

I know that I've said before that being typed out at an audition isn't all bad.  It saves you the time of going in and singing when they weren't looking for someone like you in the first place.  But, there are those times when you know that you're right for a particular show and you still get cut anyway.  Those times can be so FRIGGING FRUSTRATING!  As was the case yesterday.

This one was for Catch Me if You Can, the musical based on the Steven Spielberg movie that had Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks.  Now I've seen the movie.  I really liked it too but, more importantly, I know that there are people of my type throughout the whole thing.  So, I went to the casting office pretty much expecting to get to sing for it.  Not meant to be.

Of my group of 20, they kept 5 guys and I was, obviously, not one of them.(FAIL)  This is the third time in a row for this particular casting company and it's starting to get frustrating.  What's it gonna take to even get to sing for them anymore?  I just wish that, if casting people are going to type, they would just post, at the sign-in table, a notice saying what they want on that day.  It could say, "40-something African Americans, 6'2" or taller," if that's who they want to see.

I know that they have to say that they'll see anyone with a paid up Equity card but, let's face it, isn't casting the highest form of discrimination (yes, it's a harsh way to describe it but I'm irked, at the moment)?  When a writer and director collaborate on a play, don't they have a pretty specific image of what the characters should look like?  Those mental pictures are what the casting people are using to find actors for a project.  Yes, that's the business and, of course, I understand it but, it doesn't make it any less frustrating sometimes.

So, we update the scorecard:



  Audition Scorecard 2010
                   5 Success
                   4 Fails  (3 Type Out)

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I agree that that particular casting director's office is notorious for typing out, but it's really Equity that has set up this insane system. Chorus calls and EPAs are nothing more than wastes of time for everyone, and money for the producers. You have to have an agent to get seen seriously, and even then it can be very tough. There are just too many people who want to be performers, bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. And thanks to reality TV and YouTube, everyone thinks they ARE a performer when some of them have no discernible talent whatsoever. But, what can you do?

    ReplyDelete