Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Squeezin' In - Scorecard Update #3

I usually try to avoid going to auditions on a Tuesday because that's the long day at the survival job.  I get to work at 10:30 a.m. and might not get out until after midnight.  So starting my day a few hours earlier by waiting to be seen by casting people isn't at the top of my list.  But last Tuesday, I decided to make the exception.  A well known theater in Florida was having their season EPAs and I wanted to go so, I sucked it up and went to be seen.

Unfortunately it turned out that this was the only day that they were having musical EPAs so, when I got to the sign-up table, all of the time slots had been taken. At an EPA once all of the time slots have been filled, they put you on the alternate list and call names from that, if time allows.  Depending on the audition monitor, the alternate list can run pretty quickly and I was number 23 so, I took my chance at waiting to see if I could get in before heading to work.

At the same time, another theater out of Pennsylvania was also holding auditions for their upcoming production of Annie.  Now it's been a million years since I've seen Annie and I'm not sure if there's even anything in it for me but, I took the opportunity to use it as a warm-up and try out a new song.  It wasn't  really in the style of the show but I've been told that, if they like you enough, it doesn't matter what style song you have.  I went in, sang the song and it went great! (success)  It was kind of obvious they had no intention of calling me back.  I wasn't what they were looking for and I knew this but, they liked the song so my purpose was still served.

While I was waiting in line to go in for Annie, my name was called off the alternate list for the Florida theater.  So, I got out of the Annie room and got in the Florida line.  In the Florida room, there was a smidge of a rough start.  The accompanist didn't play what I was expecting to hear so, we had to start over.  It's interesting how two pianists can play the same song two different ways.  But once we got into the song, I felt that it had gone better than before! (success)

I left the Equity building feeling great and ready for the long day of work ahead.  I DID show up about 15 minutes late but, that didn't matter.  Even if I had gotten in trouble, it wouldn't have mattered.  I had taken the chance of not being seen by anyone and, instead, was seen by TWO companies.  It was a good day!

So, as it stands:

            Audition Scorecard 2010
                   5 Success
                   3 Fails

I think I have a good shot at getting a callback from the Florida people so, I'll cross my fingers and let you know if it happens.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment