Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"It Gets Better" (Broadway sings for the Trevor Project)

Since today is Wear Purple Day to bring awareness to teen bullying I decided to share this video of Broadway performers singing "It Gets Better" written by Jay Kuo and Blair Shepard.

Now usually when these "celebrity" group songs are recorded, I roll my eyes to the point of having them fall out of my head.  Because most of them just come across as a way of getting your face on a camera for everyone to see your "good deed".  And I'll admit, I had avoided this song for the same reason before I finally watched it today.  But if you listen to it, it's simple message is about as sincere as you can get.  And the group doesn't come across as trying to be "do gooders".  They look like people who've probably been through the same thing wanting to tell others that things will be ok.  Just stick around to see.

I think the recent stories of suicides due to bullying has finally hit home for a lot of people.  Doesn't matter who you are, EVERYONE was bullied by someone as a kid.  For whatever made you different from them.  Where does that come from?  Is it religion?  Is it family?  I don't know.  My family is a fairly conservative bunch (I'm probably the most liberal of all of them) but, they've NEVER thought it was ok to treat other people without respect.  If you don't like someone, just don't talk to them.  You don't continually hurt them to the point of making them want to kill themselves.

All of this recent news make me sad and angry.  NO one should ever be made to feel that low.  So low that they think the only option is death.  This kind of thing has been going on forever but, I'm glad it's finally getting the attention it, sadly, deserves.  Hopefully, some of the people doing the bullying will actually realize how much it hurts people and stop. Things will get better.  It just takes some time.

Anyway, watch the video.  It really is a great song.  Have a great day!



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment