Monday, April 12, 2010

Billy Elliot


Ever since it was announced that a musical version was coming to Broadway, I've had some reservations about seeing Billy Elliot the Musical.  Based on one of my favorite movies ever, I wasn't sure that there would be any way that the musical could live up to how much I loved the original film.  As a couple of friends and I walked by TKTS, we happened to notice that the show was up (which, to my knowledge, is extremely rare because the show is typically sold out) and, on a whim, decided to go see it.  Turns out, it was gonna be one of my best theatrical experiences EVER!


The story is set during a 1984 coal miner's strike, in Northern England.  All of the town finds themselves on the picket line and struggling to support their families.  One day, Billy (Alex Ko) stays back after his boxing class and happens upon Mrs. Wilkinson (Kate Hennig) and her girls ballet class.  He and Mrs. Wilkinson soon discover that he's got more than a little interest and talent for the dance.  She manages to set up an audition for him at the Royal Ballet Academy in London but they soon realize the audition isn't the thing they have most to worry about.  Billy's father (Philip Whitchurch) and brother (Will Chase), who are among those on the picket line, are unaware and unwilling to have any boy in their family take part in something like ballet.

I remember the original movie as something that really resonated with me, the first time I saw it.  Having just gotten out of college and going in a completely different direction from my degree (political science), I could identify with Billy and his desire to do something other than what was expected of him.  Luckily for all of us the film's director, Stephen Daldry (he was nominated for a Best Director Oscar in 2001) has returned to direct the stage version.  He manages to keep those same moments that had me while watching the film, just as powerful on the stage.  He won Best Director of a Musical at the 2009 Tonys and you easily see why.  

Ian MacNeil and Rick Fisher designed the sets and lighting, respectively.  Both do a brilliant job in helping to bring this mining town to life onstage.  Both, deservedly won Tonys for their work!

The book and score were handled by Lee Hall and Elton John.  Again, a brilliant job was done in bringing this striking miner's town to the stage.  Hall's book stayed true to the film but, never once felt like a copy.  Elton John's score is, in my opinion, his best one yet!  Unlike, The Lion King and Aida, there were no songs from this show that I walked out singing.  But in the case of Billy Elliot, I think it was a good thing.  He and Hall (who wrote the lyrics) have written a score that perfectly conveys what those characters feel in that moment.  I know some people will say that a lack of a "Can You Feel the Love" or "My Strongest Suit" hurts the show but, I'd disagree.  Not every show has to have THAT song that everyone has to sing for their next EPA.

Of the cast, no one was a weak link.  These actors WERE these characters and did a brilliant job of having me with them for the full three hours (yeah, it's long but it flies by).  Philip Whitchurch, Kate Hennig, Will Chase, Carole Shelley (whom I saw twice as Madame Morrible in Wicked!)  never made you have to think of the movie to get a moment's full impact.  They were all wonderful to watch!

But the hardest working cast member on that stage was Alex Ko.  That little man hardly ever left the stage and was constantly moving, emoting and singing.  He handled the emotional scenes with his family just as easily as the lighter scenes with his "poof" best friend, Michael (Kylend Hetherington).  He did more in one performance than many 14 year olds do in a year.

In short, I LOVED this show!  I don't think I've been this moved by a show in a very long time.  It's been running now, at the Imperial, for about a year and a half.  If there's any justice in the theater world (which most of us know, there's not much), this show will be there for a very long time.  I know that not everyone will agree with my assessment but, that's why we all have our own opinions right?  The story about the little boy who just wanted to dance is now, not only one of my favorite movies ever but also, one of my favorite musicals ever.



No comments:

Post a Comment