Thursday, April 15, 2010

Extra! Extra!, Pt. 2


So, it was back to Boardwalk Empire for me, the other day, to do more background work.  The experience was a little different than the first time because, at least this time, I knew what was going on so I wasn't walking around like a deer in headlights.  But, the day didn't go without its issues and it gave me a chance to people watch again.


It began as another early wake up time of 3:30am in order to catch the bus to the set at 5:30.  Unfortunately, I woke with a terrible sore throat and was afraid of it getting worse throughout the day.  Add to that the stress of thinking I was going to miss the bus and I was beginning to think I wasn't going to make it to the set at all.  But, I got there and the first part of the day (check-in, wardrobe, makeup, etc.)  went the same as before.

Luckily, I ran into someone that I'd chatted with the last time so I had a friend for the day.  Doing background is an easy was to meet other people because, you spend so much time standing around waiting for things to happen, you have plenty of time to chat.  One shot can take 30 seconds to film and about 5 minutes (more or less) to reset so, there's plenty of down time.

This particular day was also the first time I noticed a segregation between the SAG and non-Sag people.  Whereas the SAG people got to be inside a building with heat, the non-SAGs were relegated to the tent outside with only a space heater.  Also, the SAGs were sent on a separate break early on that I didn't quite get.  It all felt very segregated at times but, I guess, those are the perks of being part of the union.  Being part of my own union (Actors Equity),  I've noticed union and non-union differences but, that's mostly in the audition process and not so much during production.

One of the more fascinating aspects of this whole type of work, is to see other people and some of the things they do.  Like I said before, you have quite a bit of down time doing this so there's plenty of time to people watch.  And here, there are lots of people to watch.  You've got the snobby SAG-type whom think they're above everyone just because they have a union card (this is NOT all of the SAGs, just a couple).  The people who ignore the information they're given when we get our info for the shoot (such as men shaving and women coming with no makeup on).  One man got a lecture for coming in unshaven and another woman got one for having so much lipstick on that they looked twice their normal size (other people getting lectures are fun to watch).  This is the entry level for the film acting world.  We're basically moving set pieces, it's not hard.  The people you want to talk to are the ones who realize this.  The others are just fun to watch.  Oh yeah, you've got the kids and their stage parents too.  Ugh.

Anyway on this particular day, the weather was around 55 degrees and rainy.  They had us standing outside for the majority of the time and it wasn't much fun.  I understand having to keep everyone around because it's hard to herd one hundred people back and forth to set for each shot but, I think the weather took it's toll on me.  It finally gave my allergies the chance to wreak their yearly havoc and I've been left with no voice, for a few days.

All in all, with the weather and allergies, it was kind of another not so great day on the Boardwalk.  But, this the glamorous life I lead.  And even though I haven't had the best of luck so far, I'd do it again just for the chance to be featured and get a SAG waiver.  They had asked if I were available the next day but, I was scheduled at the civilian job so, I had to say no.  But next time, I'll be there.  Like I said before, it's the entry level.  The only way to go is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment