Sunday, April 18, 2010

Silence... Not So Golden!

So, it seems to happen to me about once a year.  The cold weather goes away, the temperature goes up and all the flowers and trees start to bloom.  About this time, I notice that my throat is a little scratchy but, I think nothing of it.  And then, one morning I wake up and go to speak or sing and I realize it's happened.... I got friggin' laryngitis.  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!


I usually wind up getting laryngitis about once a year, in the spring.  When the pollen count is the highest and my allergies seem to be having their annual convention in my head, that's when my voice decides it's time to go on vacation.  This year has been no different than any of the others but, that doesn't make it any less annoying.

This always starts out the same way, I think that I'm getting sick with something worse.  The sore throat and headaches are always the first indicator and lead me think, "Oh geez, what's next?"  According to the wikipedia page, which I linked to above in case someone's not sure what I'm talking about, some of the symptoms are cold or flu-like.  That's fine but, why make a person think they're getting one thing just to give them another?  Is this God's version of a practical joke?  Anyway, those symptoms usually pass and I'm left with a deteriorating voice that has me prepared for the inevitable week of "silence".

That "silence" is easier attempted than done.  For someone who doesn't like to talk very much I, personally, don't see a problem with having no voice for a week.  Unfortunately, the rest of society doesn't tend to agree with me.  For my cilvilian job, I work in a restaurant in the Meatpacking District in New York City.  Most evenings, especially weekends, the nights will find the music playing at a very high volume where people with full voices are sometimes hard to hear.  I usually wind up getting looks from guests that say, "Oh God, don't breathe on me sicky," or "What's your problem? Speak up you stupid person."  It's times like this when I wish I were contagious so that they could get those looks in return to see how it feels.  But, I digress.

As an actor, it's also particularly hard.  We have to be heard whether its onstage or on film.  Of course, this means auditions are out.  If they can't hear what you really sound like, what's the point of wasting your time and going in?  And God forbid you lose your voice when you're actually doing a musical. That happened to me once.  I was doing Forever Plaid in Colorado when my voice went out about halfway through the second song!  Yes, the second song of a 23 song show... with only a four person cast... all four of whom are constantly onstage and sing in almost EVERY song together.  To make matters worse, the theater we were at had asked us to do a receiving line after each performance.  Those same looks I get at the restaurant, I got them here too.  Not fun.

So anyway, I'm in the middle of the back half of my vocally challenged week.  Things are getting back to normal and I should get there in a couple more days.  My least favorite part is the fact that I can't sing.  Usually when I'm by myself, I have my iTunes on and am singing with everything on shuffle.  I think that's the most painful part of this particular "sickness."  Music has always been a big part of my life and when it's taken away, it really blows.  But it's ok, my voice will be back and I be singing along with Billy Elliot or Madonna or whoever again before I know it.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment