Friday, August 13, 2010

Called In 2... The Tingle Fades

So, the time came to head to my coaching before the audition.  I went in with my Garth Brooks song that I thought was what I was going to be doing.  After learning of the song that I had, Michael (my coach) pretty much immediately says, "Let me see your book."

We then decided to do my Shrek song and just add some twang to it.  That wouldn't be too hard on my part.  I grew up around a lot of twang so it's never been too far out of reach.  We worked for our hour and then, he sent me off to Chelsea Studios.

When I got to Chelsea, it was a bit interesting.  After finding the monitor who had been distracted by the movie playing in the lobby, I got my side and started looking them over.  The audition was for Click Clack Moo which is being produced as a tour by Theatreworks USA.  The role they were looking at me for was Farmer Brown, the only human male in the show.

When I told the monitor I was ready, I went in and think I nailed my 16 bars.  It was the same cut of song that I'd been using but tweaked so that it felt, and played, so much better.  My twang, movements and everything went well for something that had just been decided about an hour before.

Then we read the Farmer Brown side.  I did my version first. The casting director gave me direction.  We did a second read through.

And then she says to me, "Great.  Now, let's do the chicken side."  


"WHAT?!?!?!"  


I had no idea there was going to be a chicken side.  When I had spoken to her about the audition, she had only mentioned reading for Farmer Brown.  But, these things don't always go as you expect them to and I want a job.  So, I acted like that was what I thought she was going to say and did my best cold reading of a chicken.


Overall though, I was proud of how I did.  My song was great and I had a clear difference between my two Farmer Brown readings.  The chicken was a curveball but, I did my best.  If nothing else, I feel as though I made up for my bad showing at the Wee The People call backs from February.


So now, it's out of my hands.  I did my part and now it's their turn to decide if I fit what they're looking for.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.


Today, I'm heading to Telsey Casting to do that Wicked chorus call I mentioned last week.  The strangest thing they would have me read for there would be a munchkin.  But they're just small humans and the flying monkeys don't speak so, I know what to expect form this one.  Maybe I'll see you around.


Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment