Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer Audition Doldrums

So, I've been seeing my vocal coach for about 3 months now and the songs we've worked on, I think, are coming along great!  The problem is that I don't have much of anywhere to use them, at the moment.  Summer tends to be the slow season for auditions what with most theaters taking a break from auditioning. Unfortunately, this break is not coinciding with my most recent burst of inspiration.

I will have to say that the slower time has allowed me to work more closely on the new songs I've been singing.  The flip side of that, though, is that the procrastinator in me thinks that I have all the time in the world.  But the audition circuit is starting to pick back up so, I'll soon be feeling the pressure to get the music learned.

So far, I've learned songs from Titanic, Ragtime and Triumph of Love.  I know the first two shows well but, all I knew about Triumph, prior to this, was that it was a short lived musical that starred Betty Buckley.  I've got to give it to my coach, Michael, that he does a great job of suggesting the right songs for me.  I've got about 6 others on the backburner to learn before we're through this first round of music.

Unfortunately, none of the audition notices I've seen, over the past month, has had anything for me or not been possible due to my work schedule.  But, there's a lot of theater coming to NYC in the coming year so, there'll be plenty of opportunities.  It looks as though my "coming out" with any of the new music won't be until a Wicked ECC happening next week.

For now, I'm off to work on some notes and memorize some lyrics.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll see you at the Wicked call on Friday the 13th.  That sounds appropriate.

Until next time...  imgres.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment